Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beekeeping

I took a class last fall in beekeeping, and set up a hive 3 weeks ago. The queen (Queen Latifah) has been busy laying eggs. Since there are 21 days in the cycle from egg to emergence, I should have some new bees!
Here's the hive, and also a shot of a frame with brood cells that are capped with wax (the dark colored cells). The lighter colored cells are freshly laid eggs that aren't capped yet, along with some honey cells
(above it). That was taken about ten days ago. I'll be going back into the hive this weekend for another inspection and I'll take some more photos.


2 comments:

  1. I hope to have bees someday. No classes to take where I live but there are some beekeepers around. I will just go make a pest of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea!
    Another way to learn is by watching UTube videos. There's thousands of them.

    ReplyDelete