Monday, June 27, 2011

Fresh Honey

Inspected the hive today. Lots of fresh honey! The upper white cells are capped honey and the golden colored cells are fresh honey waiting to be capped. I had to scrape off a small burr on one of the frames and it was filled with honey. I saved it and tasted it. What a delight! It had a floral taste, followed by a citrus-like after taste. "Urban Honey" is honey typically made by bees from multiple nectar sources. It has a much more complex taste than that from a single source, such as clover or alfalfa. Thus the name "Urban Honey", since a lot of hobby beekeepers have their hives in their backyard. The commercial beekeepers usually have their bees in a field or fruit-tree grove that yields a honey with a specific taste.

3 comments:

  1. I have a friend who knows how to keep bees. I need to figure it out as I sure like honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to jump in and do it! I"m sure you know all about that. speaking of of "doing it", how's the earthbag building going? Probably too hot for that, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has cooled down some and I "SHOULD" be getting more done but have been having fun helping Denese look for her land and introducing her around town I have been slacking.

    ReplyDelete